Porth Harlequins RFC | 1st Team 16 - 27 Dowlais RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
23 February 2017 / Team News


Dowlais achieved their second double of the season in this rare away victory at Porth Harlequins RFC.
Straight from the kick off Dowlais showed their intent with a period of text book rugby invloving both forwards and backs before putting Tom Griffin in at the corner, Lloyd Hynes converting.
The Dragons were disrupted soon after when hooker Chris Williams was ordered to serve 10 minutes in the bin.
Play was end to end with both sides spreading the ball and both defending strongly.
Dowlais increased their lead with a Lloyd Hynes penalty, they then went through a quiet period and allowed Porth to take the iniative.
A.Clements missed an easy penalty but later found his range adding two penalties , and when the Dowlais no8 lost possesion going forward Porth took advantage and scored a good try wide out by Scott Thomas to make the half time score 11-10 to the hosts.
The second half saw Dowlais increase their intensity and take the game to Porth. Dowlais went back into the lead with a monsterous penalty by Lloyd Hynes from the half way line which seemed to inspire his team mates in to increasing their game intensity.
Dowlais were putting the pressure on Porth but unable to cross the line due to a strong Porth defence.Dowlais were in the home 22 and the pack driving Porth towards  their line, the ball broke free finding prop Rhodri Martin sprinting through like a winger crossing in the corner, Lloyd Hynes adding the extras.
Dowlais were now dominating proceedings and scored their third try by wing Marcus Clyne who used his strength to force his way over Hynes once again adding the conversion. Dowlais were  now going for a bonus try which they should have secured but indiscipline and another yellow card cost them.
With the game drawing to a close and the game won Dowlais lost concentration and allowed Porth to score a consolation try right at the final whistle.
Every one at the Club were pleased to see centre James Quirke take the field for his first game for over two years due to a long term injury and the resulting leg operation,he was quickly into his stride with some trade mark tackles and looked as if he had not been absent for such a long time.
This was a good  performance by the pack and the backs and showed a continued improvement with man of the match Lloyd Hynes having his best game this season, nailing every kick and the one from the half way line took the steam out of Porth and helped Dowlais on their way.
Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos